Get Reliable & Quality Results
Meet Your Schedule & Budget
Ensure Client Satisfaction
Designing projects in the coastal & marine environment can be technically overwhelming and frustrating to permit.
To Succeed, you’ll need:
- Specialized coastal engineering expertise
- Local knowledge and resources
- Coastal monitoring and modeling capabilities
Lacking these may put your project at risk
WEC’s Coastal Engineering Services Include:
- Extreme wind & wave analyses and wave load calculations
- FEMA flood map revisions (LOMA, LOMR & LOMC)
- Wetland restoration design
- Hurricane storm surge modeling & flood hazard mapping
- Hurricane hazard resiliency planning support
- Marina design and permitting support
- Hydraulic, hydrodynamic & water quality modeling
- Planning & permitting support
- Project environmental impact assessments
- Sedimentation studies
- Field monitoring of tides, currents, waves & water quality
- Beach management & shoreline stabilization
Gain Confidence Your Project Will Succeed
Reduce project risk
Avoid unnecessary environmental impacts
Reduce Project Headaches
Leverage specialized expertise
Save money and stay on schedule
Avoid staffing issues
Trusted Partner on Your Team
Strengthen your team
Boost your reputation
We know how confusing and difficult it can be to design & permit projects that affect lakes, rivers or coastlines.
Water Environment Consultants (WEC) delivers coastal engineering expertise & permitting support you need to feel confident your project will succeed.
• WEC designed an alternate tidal marsh configuration, resulting in substantial construction cost savings, reduced erosion potential, and reduced maintenance requirements. WEC assisted Collins Engineering with the final design and supported the project team through construction.
• The project won an Engineering Excellence Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies of South Carolina.
• WEC used the 2D SWAN model to evaluate the wave conditions acting along the pier. The wave load calculations supported a safe and cost-efficient structural design of the new pier.
• Services included numerical modeling with a 3D application of the EFDC model to assess hydrodynamics, sedimentation, and water quality effects of the proposed deepening. The results were incorporated into the Feasibility Study and Environmental Impact Statement and saved on the order of $100M in mitigation costs.
• The project included extensive field data collection and analysis of reference marsh topography, vegetation and hydraulics. WEC used the SRH-2D hydrodynamic model to aid in the design of tidal marsh areas and tidal creeks.
• The study defined storm surge, wind, and wave conditions for various return periods to develop appropriate performance and survivability design criteria.
• The design was supported by a 2D application of the HEC-RAS model to simulate tidal inundation through a new box culvert, tidal marsh system, and two railroad crossings. The project required careful consideration of existing site constraints including low-lying roadways, railroads, and offsite flood prevention, while maximizing restored wetland acreage.
• The study incorporated extensive field measurements for tidal currents and vessel wave heights. WEC used the 2D SWAN model to establish extreme wave conditions at the site for a variety of storm scenarios and return periods. The project also included an assessment of sedimentation rates at the proposed dock facility to estimate future dredge maintenance needs.
• The project required extensive field measurements of tidal water levels, current velocities, and marsh vegetation and 2D numerical modeling to aid the wetland and tidal creek design.
• WEC prepared detailed design drawings and specifications for the wetland site, maximizing restored areas and minimizing construction costs and maintenance requirements.
• The project, which included 20 terminals in total, required careful consideration of environmental effects, water quality standards, and fishery resources. WEC conducted Tier I Sediment Quality Evaluations, an Essential Fish Habitat Assessment and Biological Assessment, and evaluated water quality effects in support of the permit applications.
• WEC developed a storm surge analysis methodology to include improving the FEMA ADCIRC model for the region. WEC worked with ATM to complete the hurricane modeling analysis.
• The study results provide a more robust assessment of the storm surge and sea level rise scenarios within the upper St. Johns River and tidal tributaries, which the County can incorporate into stormwater infrastructure design.
What people are saying about us
”Because we renew our NPDES so infrequently, we lacked the knowledge and experience needed to negotiate a good permit – we needed help. IP hired WEC, and I realized we had picked the right consultant when I saw firsthand the regulatory and science-based positions that WEC presented were either seriously considered by the State, or were resolved to our satisfaction. By working with WEC, we now spend less on sampling, analysis, and other compliance costs, saving our facility significant money.John BakerEnvironmental Engineering Manager, International Paper
”Over the years, SEFA has had to prepare Integrated Contingency Plans (ICPs) and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs) to meet several power generating utilities’ NPDES permit requirements. WEC’s experience working with large utilities and industrial operations eliminated any concerns that each SWPPP and or ICP would comply with the permit requirements and also reflect the utility’s culture. WEC was able to help collaborate issues with both SEFA and the utility, and having them on the team definitely made things less stressful.Todd WilsonDirector of Environmental Services, The SEFA Group
”WEC is a pleasure to work with. The level of service, responsiveness & turnaround times for this type scope of work is some of the best I have experienced in my 30+ year career. They clearly provide true value for the dollar!Dan MoorePresident I Marine Division, Straticon
”In several projects we have needed accurate hydrodynamic modeling work of conditions around our site. From the beginning it was clear that WEC was interested in helping us find an economical but technically sound solution. Our job is much easier, knowing we have someone like WEC as a partner who can provide reasonably priced exceptional technical support in a variety of areas. WEC solves our problems in less time, for less money, and with less stress than we would have ever expected. Exactly the kind of partner you are looking for in business.Philip RowlandDulany Industries
”“Mr. Goodrich integrated seamlessly within the Corps team, and his participation in brainstorming and problem solving exercises was critical in overcoming challenging technical concepts. His expertise, professionalism and work ethic contributed greatly to the delivery of a quality project that met the aggressive timeline for completion. I would highly recommend Mr. Goodrich and Water Environment Consultants for other projects requiring environmental and water resources expertise.”Brian Williams, P.E.Assistant Chief of Programs and Project Management Division, US Army Corps of Engineers Charleston District
”We have worked with WEC for a long time, and their combination of technical expertise, regulatory understanding, and local knowledge make them very competitive, even versus much larger firms. We have always found them to be reasonable, reliable, and prompt, saving us considerable time and stress with complex projects. WEC is a critical part of our team.Jesse Cannon, P.EManager - Water Quality, Santee Cooper
”“WEC has provided a high level of service and has consistently met our high expectations. I particularly value WEC’s technical and regulatory expertise in approaching and addressing a wide range of issues with DHEC.”Paul CalamitaChainman, AquaLaw
With WEC on Your Team, You Get:
For over two decades, our engineers and scientists have helped hundreds of clients
Local and international project experience
Advanced Computer Modeling
To optimize designs and evaluate environmental effects
We’ll help you maintain water quality while avoiding unnecessary environmental impacts.
Experts at monitoring tides, currents, waves & water quality
Tell Us About Your Situation
We’ll discuss your project’s needs, problems, and expectations together
Receive a Customized Solution
Our specialized experts will analyze the options and identify the right solution
Feel Relieved on the Path to Success
You can proceed with your project, knowing we’ll solve your problem