We support port authorities, terminal operators and other waterfront clients to deliver cost-effective designs and obtain permits more efficiently
Get Reliable & Quality Results
Meet Your Schedule & Budget
Ensure Client Satisfaction
WEC has proven experience saving our clients millions of dollars in capital and operational costs, all while protecting water quality
WEC delivers specialized services to help your team with:
- Permitting support
- Environmental Impact Studies (EIS)
- Field monitoring of water levels, currents, waves & water quality
- Extreme wind & wave analyses
- Wave load calculations
- FEMA flood map revisions (LOMA, LOMR & LOMC)
- Sediment quality evaluations
- Sedimentation studies
- Hydraulic, hydrodynamic & water quality modeling
- Hurricane hazard resiliency planning support
- Hurricane storm surge modeling & flood hazard mapping
• The study incorporated extensive field measurements for tidal currents and vessel wave heights. WEC used the 2D SWAN model to establish extreme wave conditions at the site for a variety of storm scenarios and return periods. The project also included an assessment of sedimentation rates at the proposed dock facility to estimate future dredge maintenance needs.
• The study defined storm surge, wind, and wave conditions for various return periods to develop appropriate performance and survivability design criteria.
• Services included numerical modeling with a 3D application of the EFDC model to assess hydrodynamics, sedimentation, and water quality effects of the proposed deepening. The results were incorporated into the Feasibility Study and Environmental Impact Statement and saved on the order of $100M in mitigation costs.
• The project, which included 20 terminals in total, required careful consideration of environmental effects, water quality standards, and fishery resources. WEC conducted Tier I Sediment Quality Evaluations, an Essential Fish Habitat Assessment and Biological Assessment, and evaluated water quality effects in support of the permit applications.
What people are saying about us
”Because we renew our NPDES so infrequently, we lacked the knowledge and experience needed to negotiate a good permit – we needed help. IP hired WEC, and I realized we had picked the right consultant when I saw firsthand the regulatory and science-based positions that WEC presented were either seriously considered by the State, or were resolved to our satisfaction. By working with WEC, we now spend less on sampling, analysis, and other compliance costs, saving our facility significant money.John BakerEnvironmental Engineering Manager, International Paper
”In several projects we have needed accurate hydrodynamic modeling work of conditions around our site. From the beginning it was clear that WEC was interested in helping us find an economical but technically sound solution. Our job is much easier, knowing we have someone like WEC as a partner who can provide reasonably priced exceptional technical support in a variety of areas. WEC solves our problems in less time, for less money, and with less stress than we would have ever expected. Exactly the kind of partner you are looking for in business.Philip RowlandDulany Industries
”Over the years, SEFA has had to prepare Integrated Contingency Plans (ICPs) and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs) to meet several power generating utilities’ NPDES permit requirements. WEC’s experience working with large utilities and industrial operations eliminated any concerns that each SWPPP and or ICP would comply with the permit requirements and also reflect the utility’s culture. WEC was able to help collaborate issues with both SEFA and the utility, and having them on the team definitely made things less stressful.Todd WilsonDirector of Environmental Services, The SEFA Group
”“Mr. Goodrich integrated seamlessly within the Corps team, and his participation in brainstorming and problem solving exercises was critical in overcoming challenging technical concepts. His expertise, professionalism and work ethic contributed greatly to the delivery of a quality project that met the aggressive timeline for completion. I would highly recommend Mr. Goodrich and Water Environment Consultants for other projects requiring environmental and water resources expertise.”Brian Williams, P.E.Assistant Chief of Programs and Project Management Division, US Army Corps of Engineers Charleston District
”We have worked with WEC for a long time, and their combination of technical expertise, regulatory understanding, and local knowledge make them very competitive, even versus much larger firms. We have always found them to be reasonable, reliable, and prompt, saving us considerable time and stress with complex projects. WEC is a critical part of our team.Jesse Cannon, P.EManager - Water Quality, Santee Cooper
”WEC is a pleasure to work with. The level of service, responsiveness & turnaround times for this type scope of work is some of the best I have experienced in my 30+ year career. They clearly provide true value for the dollar!Dan MoorePresident I Marine Division, Straticon
”“WEC has provided a high level of service and has consistently met our high expectations. I particularly value WEC’s technical and regulatory expertise in approaching and addressing a wide range of issues with DHEC.”Paul CalamitaChainman, AquaLaw