We support your team to obtain permits faster and more efficiently while minimizing risk
Get Reliable & Quality Results
Meet Your Schedule & Budget
Ensure Client Satisfaction
Navigating the complex regulatory and permitting process effectively can be difficult and frustrating.
To Succeed, you’ll need:
- Specialized technical expertise
- Local knowledge & resources
- Monitoring & modeling capabilities
- Regulatory relationships
Lacking these may put your project at risk
With WEC on Your Team, You Get:
- Environmental Impact Studies
- Discharge Wastewater (NPDES) Permitting
- Wastewater Facility Process Design & Construction Permitting
- Industrial Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans
- TMDL Review and Studies
- Dredging and Waterfront Project Permitting
Gain Confidence Your Project Will Succeed
Right Permitting Solution
Reduce project risk
Avoid unnecessary environmental impacts
Reduce Project Headaches
Leverage specialized expertise
Save money and stay on schedule
Avoid staffing issues
Trusted Partner on Your Team
Strengthen your team
Boost your reputation
Benefit from our regulatory relationships
We know how confusing and frustrating it can be to face the regulatory hurdles
and complex engineering challenges needed to obtain a permit for your project.
Water Environment Consultants (WEC) delivers the specialized expertise & permitting
support you need to feel confident your project will succeed.
• Services included measurements of in-stream velocity, bathymetry, and temperature and development of an EFDC numerical model to evaluate localized mixing within the lake. WEC provided recommendation for future NPDES limitations and reduced the biological assessment requirements performed for 316(b) compliance.
• WEC used the CORMIX model to design a single-port diffuser resulting in favorable whole effluent toxicity limits and the EFDC model to ensure the discharge would not affect the dissolved oxygen within the river.
• Under contract with MDB Consulting Engineers, P.A, WEC completed field measurements and water quality modeling of the proposed discharge to demonstrate the project’s compliance with state water standards, potentially saving millions in project capital costs.
• WEC used the CORMIX model and revised flow to establish whole effluent toxicity limits and recommendation for a multiport diffuser system to improve mixing.
• The project, which included 20 terminals in total, required careful consideration of environmental effects, water quality standards, and fishery resources. WEC conducted Tier I Sediment Quality Evaluations, an Essential Fish Habitat Assessment and Biological Assessment, and evaluated water quality effects in support of the permit applications.
• WEC conducted depth and tidal current velocity measurements to set up and calibrate a model (EFDC and CORMIX) to simulate the discharge’s thermal mixing within the Cooper River.
• The results aided in evaluating an appropriate outfall diffuser location. Through open communication and a collaborative approach, WEC provided the preliminary design of the outfall diffuser and permitting support to increase mixing and reduce the thermal impacts.
• WEC worked with Anchroma and SCDHEC to negotiate an NPDES permit allows Archroma to leverage its treatment capacity for additional revenue.
• Services included numerical modeling through the CORMIX and EFDC models and NPDES and construction permitting support. The project required close coordination with the design firms (Fluor) to lower the treatment system cost and expedite permitting process.
What people are saying about us
”Over the years, SEFA has had to prepare Integrated Contingency Plans (ICPs) and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs) to meet several power generating utilities’ NPDES permit requirements. WEC’s experience working with large utilities and industrial operations eliminated any concerns that each SWPPP and or ICP would comply with the permit requirements and also reflect the utility’s culture. WEC was able to help collaborate issues with both SEFA and the utility, and having them on the team definitely made things less stressful.Todd WilsonDirector of Environmental Services, The SEFA Group
”“Mr. Goodrich integrated seamlessly within the Corps team, and his participation in brainstorming and problem solving exercises was critical in overcoming challenging technical concepts. His expertise, professionalism and work ethic contributed greatly to the delivery of a quality project that met the aggressive timeline for completion. I would highly recommend Mr. Goodrich and Water Environment Consultants for other projects requiring environmental and water resources expertise.”Brian Williams, P.E.Assistant Chief of Programs and Project Management Division, US Army Corps of Engineers Charleston District
”In several projects we have needed accurate hydrodynamic modeling work of conditions around our site. From the beginning it was clear that WEC was interested in helping us find an economical but technically sound solution. Our job is much easier, knowing we have someone like WEC as a partner who can provide reasonably priced exceptional technical support in a variety of areas. WEC solves our problems in less time, for less money, and with less stress than we would have ever expected. Exactly the kind of partner you are looking for in business.Philip RowlandDulany Industries
”Because we renew our NPDES so infrequently, we lacked the knowledge and experience needed to negotiate a good permit – we needed help. IP hired WEC, and I realized we had picked the right consultant when I saw firsthand the regulatory and science-based positions that WEC presented were either seriously considered by the State, or were resolved to our satisfaction. By working with WEC, we now spend less on sampling, analysis, and other compliance costs, saving our facility significant money.John BakerEnvironmental Engineering Manager, International Paper
”We have worked with WEC for a long time, and their combination of technical expertise, regulatory understanding, and local knowledge make them very competitive, even versus much larger firms. We have always found them to be reasonable, reliable, and prompt, saving us considerable time and stress with complex projects. WEC is a critical part of our team.Jesse Cannon, P.EManager - Water Quality, Santee Cooper
”WEC is a pleasure to work with. The level of service, responsiveness & turnaround times for this type scope of work is some of the best I have experienced in my 30+ year career. They clearly provide true value for the dollar!Dan MoorePresident I Marine Division, Straticon
”“WEC has provided a high level of service and has consistently met our high expectations. I particularly value WEC’s technical and regulatory expertise in approaching and addressing a wide range of issues with DHEC.”Paul CalamitaChainman, AquaLaw
With WEC on Your Team, You Get:
Seasoned Inside Perspective
Our senior staff include former State Water Permitting Managers
For over two decades, our engineers and scientists have helped hundreds of clients
Pulse on Local Issues
We’re deeply involved with local Water Quality Authorities and Chambers of Commerce Technical Committees
Connections to key Decision-Makers
Our long-standing relationships with key regulatory personnel help minimize the risk of project delays
We’ll help you maintain water quality while avoiding unnecessary environmental impacts.
Specialized expertise in the Southeast states: SC, NC, GA & FL
Tell Us About Your Situation
We’ll discuss your project’s needs, problems, and expectations together
Receive a Customized Solution
Our specialized experts will analyze the options and identify the right solution
Feel Relieved on the Path to Success
You can proceed with your project, knowing we’ll solve your problem